I started this bucket list in 2016, I think before I had even signed up for my first marathon. There have been some amazing races that I have run that didn’t get on this list and over the years I have made some changes to it.
- Grand Rapids Marathon – This was originally going to be my first marathon. I ended up choosing to run the Detroit International Marathon instead. I have heard great things about this course and plan on running it some day!
- Detroit Thanksgiving Day Turkey Trot – I think this would be one of those “do it to say you did it once” races because after the craziness of the Detroit Marathon, I can only imagine what Detroit would be like during this race!
- Saint Patrick’s Parade Corktown Races – I love races with themes that encourage dressing up, I love Saint Patrick’s Day and I love Detroit! All great reasons to run this race some day.
- Mackinac Island 8 Mile – When I came up with this list, I had never been to Mackinac Island! I have been there a few times now and have even run around the island (the course of this race). I was signed up to do the race series in 2020, but you know… 2020. Definitely still a bucket list race for me!
- Mackinac Island Great Turtle 1/2 Marathon – I hope to some day run this series. In 2020 this race fell on my mom’s and my friend’s mom’s birthday so we had planned a girls weekend to the island that included a race, of course. Hopefully we can have our girls weekend another year.
- Mackinac Island Lilac Festival 10k – The third race (well technically I guess this is the first) in the RunMackinac Island Trio of races. This was not originally on my race bucket list, but after I found out if you do all three races you get a special medal… hmm!
Fifth Third Bank River Bank Run – 25k– My first 25k! It was a tough race for many reasons but I came out of it really loving the spirit of running and I’m stronger in so many ways. I can’t wait to do it again! Detroit Free Press Marathon– This race was my first 26.2 on 10/16/16 – and also the first race on this bucket list to get crossed off! :) And I applied to be a Race Ambassador in 2017, so I may be running it a second time. <– so funny to look back on this list now! I wasn’t accepted to be a race ambassador in 2017, but I did run it again. In 2018 I applied and was selected to be a race ambassador, making Detroit my 4th marathon (Glass City in Toledo was my 3rd). I ran the 1/2 marathon in Detroit in 2019. This is a race that I will most likely do every year… except whatever year I finally run Grand Rapids, since they are usually on the same weekend.
- Sleeping Bear Marathon – I camped with my dad and my brother at Sleeping Bear Dunes when I was a kid and remember how beautiful it was. I have had a few friends run this race and really enjoy it.
- National Cherry Festival Festival of Races – I have gone with my family and friends to the cherry festival in Traverse City a few times. It is a very busy festival, but worth it, because Traverse City is such a gorgeous place and we love seeing the air show. There is a 5k, 10k, 15k and a half marathon.
- Tahqua Trail Run – I went to Tahquamenon Falls when I was 19 and absolutely loved it. Ever since then I have wanted to run this race! I was fortunate enough to get to go back there in 2020 with my husband and it just made me want to run it even more. It is such a beautiful place. I am not a big fan of trail running, and I have heard that this is a tough race, but the scenery might be worth it.
- The Chicago Marathon – Chicago is another one of my favorite cities, and this marathon is known throughout the world. I would be incredibly honored to run this race some day.
- Charlevoix Marathon – This race was actually featured in Runners World for one of the best small marathons in the U.S.
- Martian Invasion of Races – My friend Maggie actually WON this marathon a few years ago. I have heard great things about it, and the race swag is really awesome. I did the virtual half in 2020 for my birthday and while the swag was really cool, I know that running the actual race would be much better, and I definitely can’t cross it off the list yet.
- The Flying Pig Marathon – Just the name itself… I mean come on. I have heard that the Cincinatti hills are brutal, but I’m up for the challenge. This race was also featured in Runners World as a good marathon to put on your bucket list, so here it is!
- Little Rock Marathon – Arkansas’ Race for All Paces! The marathon has a time limit of 8 hours – wow. And they are known for their race bling, having the largest medals of all. My brother lives about 70 miles from Little Rock, so just an excuse to visit loved ones while doing something I love!
- The Dopey Challenge – So, I am not a huge Disney fan, and for me the cost of this race is a huge deterrent. My friends that have run it have had nothing but amazing things to say about it and I’ve actually met some awesome people because of these races. I don’t think I’ll do the REAL races, but it is on my bucket list to run a 5k, 10k, half marathon and marathon 4 days in a row just like the Dopey Challenge.
- A 50k – I honestly don’t know which official 50k I would like to run. 2020 has changed a lot about running and racing, and I find myself feeling okay with doing some of my bucket list ideas in a non-traditional way. While I would not feel like I could cross off the Chicago Marathon or Grand Rapids, etc. by running the virtual version of those races, I do feel like running my own 50k in my hometown would totally cross this goal off my list.