I have debated about whether or not I wanted to post an official “Goals for 2018” list. It seems like in years past although I have posted goals I haven’t really kept up with them throughout the year. Then when December comes and I look back, sometimes I’m surprised by what I’ve accomplished, and sometimes I’m disappointed by what I haven’t.
But here we are, two weeks into the New Year, and I think about what I want to accomplish in the next 352 days often. I have started keeping an old school, pen and paper journal to keep track of my training and the goals I have started in my head. I see myself doing things differently this year… keeping a flow of goals, rather than a huge list of things that I want to do that may not even be relevant anymore in a couple of months. I guess I have learned (finally, it only took me 30 years) that a lot can change unexpectedly at the drop of a hat so while it is great to have goals, it is also good to stay flexible.
So here goes nothing. Here’s my current goals for 2018.
- Run my third marathon, on my own, and do it in less than 6 hours. Well guys, I might as well start off with the big one. Ever since I crossed the finish line at the Detroit Marathon this year and came SO close to my goal of finishing in under 6 hours, I have been almost foaming at the mouth to reach that goal. I have the Martian Marathon on April 14th, 2018 picked out as marathon number 3, and I have started my training plan, and I’m doing pretty good at sticking to it.
- Run a half marathon in 2 1/2 hours. This was something I thought I would do in 2017, but didn’t. I have 2 half marathons planned this year – one 6 weeks after the marathon and one in September. I’m thinking it seems much more realistic to get this goal in September, especially since the race I am doing typically has excellent weather conditions. Except now that I said that, I probably jinxed myself, right?
- Drink more water. I tend to go to the extremes when I make goals, so this year I am trying something different. My husband’s primary care doctor told him that it is easier to add things than take things away when you are trying to make life changes. So rather than say “stop drinking anything other than water” I’m saying “drink more water”. I’ve been writing down in my journal the days that I drink at least 16oz of water – YES, I KNOW, I SUCK AT HYDRATING – and giving myself “points” for when I do.
- Eat more fruits and vegetables. I love vegetables, I’m not as good about eating fruits, but in the last few months I have really gone on a junk food tirade. Just like the water thing, I have been giving myself points for eating fruits and vegetables each day.
- Reach my goal weight. As much as I don’t want to include a weight loss goal, I’ve got to be honest with myself and this is something I really do want. I came so close this past year and then CRASH – my diet went to crap the last couple of months I regained every pound that I lost in 2017. I know I will run better and feel better when I eat better. I have been at my goal weight in the past and it was the best I ever felt.
- Stay on top of my CEUs and career goals. I really want to become a Board Certified Specialist in Obesity and Weight Management. My 5 year cycle for CEUs ended in 2017 and although I successfully obtained all of the credits I needed, it was a little nerve wrecking because I procrastinated. I do not want this to happen for this 5 year cycle so I need to be proactive about things and keep up on my logs.
- Read more. I want to read more for fun and also read more for my last goal. I am still a part of a book club and I do want to participate in it more. I am hoping this year that I will be more active in it. I also have some books that I want to read related to marathon training.
- Write more. I find writing to be very therapeutic, and apparently I have some readers of this blog that really enjoy what I have to say. I hope that in 2018 I will write more in this blog and in my own personal journal. I have gotten a pretty good start so far!
So that’s it so far… there are more things that I have on my mind as goals and things that I want to do this year, but right now these are the top ideas.