Well here we are, almost a full week into the New Year. I have been working hard towards my goals for 2014 and have even added some new ones.
This weekend was a productive one for me, even though we have been dumped on with snow since last night. Right now it is looking like we have gotten close to 6 inches! Despite the winter weather, I did venture out today to attend mass with my sister-in-law and her husband. After going to mass at Christmas and again last weekend for a baptism, it reaffirmed my desire to join the church – especially because it plays a huge role in our family. But more on that topic some other time…
What I really want to share is how I’m doing on my goals and share my weekly wrap up from MyFitnessPal. I’ve gushed over how much I love this app in the past, and I will do it again. I love it because it allows me to look at my workout and eating patterns as an average or day to day. So if I have a day like today where all I want is comfort foods I can see how that weighs in against other days where I have made more nutritious choices. Here’s a review of this week according to MyFitnessPal:
- I was 87 calories over my weekly goal. That’s pretty good considering we had a holiday in there! Not only that but seriously… 87 calories? That’s nothing.
- I was way over my total fat goal for the week, but it was mostly because of good fats. I was over on my saturated fats by 34 grams.
- I was over on sodium for the week by 2541 milligrams, about a day’s worth of sodium. This is pretty good considering what I’m sure it looked like when I was eating fast food several times a week!
- I was under on potassium by a lot. I need to eat more potatoes and bananas I guess!
- I was under on total carbs for the week, including fiber.
- I was under my protein goal for the week by 138 grams. Apparently this was a high fat week!
- I did pretty well on the other micronutrients that MFP tracks: 241% of my weekly goal for vitamin A, 236% of my weekly goal for vitamin C, 92% of my goal for calcium and 77% of my goal for iron.
- Overall my balance for the macronutrients was 45% carbohydrates, 39% fat and 16% protein.
- I also weighed in this weekend – 175lbs, down 1.8lbs from my last weigh in.
One way that I am trying to incorporate more vegetables and fruit into my diet (definitely my biggest downfall – I am definitely a “meat and potatoes” girl) is by making smoothies. This week I experimented with adding kale to my smoothies and was pleasantly surprised with the result!
I had some leftover homemade strawberry sauce that I used on waffles the morning before, so I added 1 cup chopped kale, 1 cup frozen mixed fruit (peaches, strawberries, pineapple, grapes & cherries), 1/4 cup of juice and 1 scoop of protein powder. Whipped it up in my Hamilton Beach single serve blender, and voila! Awesome, healthy smoothie.
As far as other goals for 2014, here’s how I’m doing:
- Buy a fitness class punch card for 10 classes each month and attend 10 fitness classes each month. I bought one and I went to Zumba on Thursday night!
- Do strength training at least twice per week. Yup! Did my 2-week turnaround strength video on Friday and today.
- Run at least three times per week. I ran on Monday, Wednesday and Saturday for a total of 9.45 miles.
- No eating out on Wednesdays unless it is a special occasion or we are out of town. Well, Wednesday was New Year’s but we did not eat out!
- Post a “What I Ate Wednesday” blog at least twice per month. One down, one to go!
- Drink at least 80 oz. of water each day. I averaged about 72 oz per day, so close!
- Cut down on drinking diet pop and eventually give it up – possibly for Lent? I had one diet coke today. It was definitely a comfort food type of day and pop sounded so good! That was my only diet pop the entire week.
- Cut out artificial sweeteners as much as possible. I did not use any artificial sweetener this week. Score!
- Make my lunch for work at least 3/5 days per week. I only worked 4 days this week and I took my lunch every day.
- Use MyFitnessPal and post a weekly summary at least once per month to this blog. Done! :)
- Do Project 365 (take a picture every day) and post a weekly summary to this blog. I started this and so far have successfully posted a picture each day. Look out for a weekly summary mid-week!
- Go to church with Ken’s family at least once per month. I went to church today with Ken’s sister.
- Read the Bible. I downloaded the Bible (ESV) to my Kindle and started a “Read the Bible in One Year” reading plan and have stuck to it.
- Start RCIA in the fall. I emailed someone at Ken’s sister’s church about RCIA tonight.
Well that’s it for my weekly wrap up! Tell me followers – did YOU make any resolutions or goals for 2014? Have you started working towards them? How are you doing?