I have so many feelings about September 2018. It had some serious highs and some major lows. It started off on a high note with my best friend completing her first olympic triathlon and winning her age group, then a half marathon PR for me a week later, hit a low when a running friend was tragically killed, and ended with another great race and a vacation with my husband. I ran two 20 milers as part of my marathon training. I reached my highest mileage in a month ever, and most of it was running. September 2018 put a lot of things into perspective for me and I feel refreshed as I am tapering for the Detroit Free Press/Chemical Bank Marathon that is less than 2 weeks away.
- Total Miles: 137.30 miles
Here’s where I stand with my “Banking the Miles” challenge for 2018:
- January 2017: 73.83 miles / January 2018: 66.50 miles
- February 2017: 33.39 miles / February 2018: 74.53 miles
- March 2017: 51.51 miles / March 2018: 89.00 miles
- April 2017: 68.68 miles / April 2018: 70.75 miles
- May 2017: 61.50 miles / May 2018: 100.19 miles
- June 2017: 51.62 miles / June 2018: 78.57 miles
- July 2017: 70.38 miles/ July 2018: 79.76 miles
- August 2017: 104.54 miles/ August 2018: 136.95 miles
- September 2017: 136.86 miles/ September 2018: 137.30 miles
- October 2017: 72.28 miles /
- November 2017: 52.86 miles /
- December 2017: 57.54 miles /
- TOTAL 2017: 835 miles / TOTAL 2018: 833.55 miles / GOAL: 1000 miles, 83%
What was I training for? Detroit Free Press/Chemical Bank Marathon
What races did I run? Run For Your Heart Half Marathon, Capital City River Run Half Marathon Relay
Best performances: I managed to get a half marathon PR at Run For Your Heart, I ran my leg of the Capital City River Run with no intervals and accomplished negative splits, and I ran my best 20 miler of any marathon training cycle – not just because it was my fastest, but I felt better than any other 20 mile run I have done.
Opportunities for improvement: Diet and hydration… yep, still the same as last month! And every month! I also have slacked off on my cross training the last couple of weeks. I had been doing great with yoga but with so much happening and our vacation I got thrown off. I will probably resume some yoga in these last couple of weeks leading up to the marathon.
What’s ahead: In less than two weeks I will be running my fourth marathon. I feel more ready for this marathon than I have for any of the others that I have trained for. I am feeling very confident in my ability to reach my goals… maybe even my “A” goal! After the marathon, I plan to take a little break from running. Don’t worry – I’ll still be running regularly, because I absolutely WILL reach my run/walk goal of 1000 miles this year. But instead of it being my main focus, I am actually going to focus on another training program. I think shaking things up a bit will be good for me. I have also been thinking ahead to 2019 and what my goals for the year will be… they will be different than they have been the last few years! Like I said, September was definitely an eye opening month for me. It feels almost like getting new glasses and seeing the world crisper and clearer than ever before. I am looking forward to what’s in the future but I am also taking time to enjoy life in the moment that I am in.