So about those goals for 2013… I am really sucking at them. I haven’t written a blog since May, and it is now October. But like they say, better late than never, and my friends and life in general has inspired me to write a new post.
A lot has happened since I last posted. A lot happened even before my last post that I haven’t shared and feel that I really should… like my first experience with an annual state survey, the nursing home where I work being evacuated due to near flooding, or the new dietary manager that started working with me on April Fool’s Day – he swears he will never start another job on that day ever again! I’ll save those topics for another blog… it’s an excuse to get back here, and hopefully I will get to it!
As for what has happened since May… let me try to break it down for you:
- I ran two more 5k races – none of them improved my time from my first 5k of the year, and I haven’t run a full 5k race since. I have completely slacked off on running. Went from fully motivated to move towards a 10k to not running at all. My running came to a full out halt right around my best friend’s wedding because life just got too crazy. I know I am making excuses, and I need to work on that.
- Ken’s nephew & his wife had their first baby, who is my first official great niece since joining the Hammis family!
- My best friend of 21 years got married, and it was one of the happiest days of my life. I cried like a baby when her daddy walked her down the aisle, and before that was grinning from ear to ear as her almost one year old son was pulled in a wagon down the aisle with a sign saying “Here Comes the Bride!”
- A few weeks later, Ken and I celebrated our one year anniversary!
- And not long after that, another best friend gave birth to her second child.
- Right around the same time, Ken and I found out that the duplex we rent was going up for sale – the for sale sign was in our lawn the next day. This event kicked us in our butts and inspired us to move on to our next adventure… buying a house!
- On October 12, 2013 I celebrated my 2nd anniversary of becoming a registered dietitian!
That’s where I’m at right now. So as for the goals I set forth for myself for 2013, here’s where I stand:
- Get back into running. I started out hard, and I have fizzled out as I said in my training. Kinda like I do when I run a race… running positive splits instead of negative splits. I need to get off my duff and do some running, even if it is just a little at a time. I need to stop thinking that it has to be all or nothing, and stop being so down on myself if I feel like I have to “start from scratch”.
- Cook more homemade meals. Yeah… this really hasn’t happened. But I did finally make a recipe from Pinterest the other day that turned out really good. It was husband approved! I’ll save that for another blog too…
- BLOG REGULARLY. Obviously failing. But if I keep writing regularly, maybe I can make it to my goal of 52 blog posts… it won’t be one per week, but eh, whatever! :)
- Keep a clean & organized home. Ha. Yeah. Not so much. Although currently it is in tip-top shape since we have had people coming through it since it went up for sale.
- Don’t be a Matron-of-Honor-Zilla. I think I was pretty successful with this one! There were moments when I had to remind myself that it wasn’t my wedding… but mostly I was the most supportive friend I could be and her wedding turned out beautiful, like I said!
- Plan for my future and career. I definitely have been working on this one. I have been looking into different Masters programs, debating whether I want to get a Masters Degree at all and what I want it to be in. Now that I have officially been a registered dietitian for two years I am also eligible for some specialty credentials which I am also still considering.
Well folks, that’s your update. Hopefully in the last couple of months of 2013 you’ll be hearing all about how awesome I am doing at running, us buyin ga new house, me cooking fabulous meals in it, and me moving forward with my career goals!